1. Education
Steve Nix

Ten Most Common Trees in the United States

By July 21, 2012

A United States Forest Service report called the Check List of Native and Naturalized Trees suggests that there may be more than 865 different species of trees in the United States. Here are the 10 most common native tree species in the United States, based on several Federal surveys of tree stem count, and are listed with the most common first:

Comments

November 20, 2008 at 7:54 pm
(1) Rick Lovell says:

Hey Steve;

Got a puzzler for you here. We live in Allen, Texas which is north of Dallas but south of the Red River (Oklahoma). Our soil is mixed clay/gumbo/sand. Anyway, my daughter dug up what she thought was a tree out in a field, it was about 6″, barely more than a root with leaves, and brought it over with us when we moved into our new home. Over the period of about 3 years it has grown to be about 22′ tall. I don’t know what it was, all of the leaf finder ideas on the internet did not match. I took it to a respected nursery-man, his daughter played volleyball with my dauther in high school so I guess that makes him respected, well he wasn’t there but his gofer in overalls said that he thought it was a mulberry. So, I came home, looked it up and the discussion was all about fruit…this tree has no fruit, but the leaves look like mulberry leaves. Short of sending you a leaf, do you have any ideas about what it might be. The bark is smooth, color of the tree is light grayish brown, leaves are dark green and grow singularly rather than in bunches, looses it leaves in the fall/winter, which it is doing now, has no smell but boy its growing fast and can really withstand some pretty terrific winds.

I’m sure that we move into our next home next year I will take a cutting and then plant that cutting, probably all over the place as it looks like out next home will be out last…I am 60 now and looking for that mid-life crisis thing.

Well, Steve, thanks for letting me bind you ears…any and all ideas would be really welcome.

Thanks;

Rick

November 20, 2008 at 9:16 pm
(2) forestry says:

Hi Rick!

You got me by about two years (age) and I’ve been through the MLC. You’ll get over it and life is better than ever.

I honestly do think you have a mulberry. The tree will not produce fruit for years depending on the site, genetics and whether it is a white or red mulberry (reds are native and can’t be prevented from fruiting). The fruit look like red black berries.

You might want to post a pic on my About Forestry Forum…

Steve Nix

May 27, 2009 at 8:56 pm
(3) Shannon Lawrence says:

Steve -

I know I have two mature white mulberry trees in my front yard, but I am trying to find out how to prevent from fruiting. I noticed your response to Rick Lovell. Can mulberry trees that currently produce lots of white sticky berries be “neutered?” I can’t stand the sticky mess anymore but don’t want to cut the tree down.

July 12, 2010 at 9:37 am
(4) Loren Floto says:

Steve, on your list of ten most common trees, two things to quibble about: I was surprised to see the flowering dogwood outrank ponderosa pine or eastern cottonwood. Second, when I clicked on the sugar maple illustration, the silver maple (Acer saccharinum) appears, not Acer saccharum.

November 9, 2010 at 8:14 pm
(5) Bob says:

Which state has the greatest variety of species of trees?

December 18, 2012 at 7:02 pm
(6) Hannah says:

Hi Steve, I am working on a thesis project where I am implanting plant seeds into a camping roasting stick (near the head which is placed over the fire). Are there any kinds of seeds that would be able to handle that kind of heat? The seeds would be protected from direct flames but would still get very hot over the fire. Any advice?

Hannah