- Dig a hole 2 to 5 times wider than the root ball. In the bottom and center of the hole, leave a planting base of undisturbed soil.
- Put the root ball on undisturbed soil flush to 2" over the top of the hole.
- Hold tree while backfilling with dirt and soil minus large clods.
- Remove grass and weeds within 6 inches of tree bole.
- With excess soil, build small berm around hole to saucer water toward roots.
- Water and mulch.
Always mulch but not excessively. Over mulching can be repellent to water.