1. Education
Here is a portion of a very interesting and telling discussion on my forum on purchasing a chainsaw:

"I'm new to your forum. I have joined mainly to alert buyers of chainsaws to be very wary of cheap chinese chainsaws being sold on the Internet, especially eBay. I can only speak for myself here, as I am sure there may be some happy chinese product shoppers out there."

"I recently puchased a saw on eBay. I have to report the saw is very poorly made and obviously quality control in China, where it is made, does not exist. The saw I purchased was not properly packed nor did it come with a manufacturers manual or thorough safety instructions. It was unsafe and did not work straight of the box."

This was my reply and probably good advice when tempted to buy a chainsaw unseen and from an unknown source:

Here is my assessment of your post and where you went wrong:

• You bought an unseen chainsaw on eBay. Never buy a saw without being able to visually see if it is indeed what you think you are buying, and for gosh sakes get at least a 30 day warranty.
  • You tried to go the cheap route. I love Dollar Tree and BigLots as much as anyone for certain things. However, chainsaws are power equipment, need maintenance and often demand expert service. After buying several discount store brand saws that ended up in yard sales, I purchased a dependable Husqvarna with great construction, sturdy parts and a service department in nearly every community in North America. Echo and Stihl are also great saws.
  • You disregarded the value of established dealerships. I am a big fan of chainsaw dealers and the products they service. Most of these dealers and many chainsaw repair shops will not service saws sold at department stores. I have owned several cheap saws and think the extra money paid for a reliable and serviceable saw is worth a little extra.

Comments

August 25, 2008 at 8:00 am
(1) john dalton says:

Americans are purchasing less now, meaning there are fewer orders being processed in China. So their economy is hurting, too, probably meaning they are cutting corners even more.
I watched Bill Moyers Journal last night. His guest and he discussed this story:

” Last year, there was something of a revolt in several factories, after workers doing 50-hour shifts died of organ failures, the workers rose up and demanded some change. The government seemed, for a while, to be panicky, to be willing to give them some of their rights, even to let them have elected trade unions.
But American corporations, Microsoft, Nike, Ford, Dell, among others, working through the American Chamber of Commerce, threatened to take their business elsewhere if the Chinese government allowed these workers to organize.”

The Japanese, after having received one order of a food product that was contaminated, refuses to give China any more orders.

Thanks to lawsuits in the US and government regulation on behalf of the consumer, we are used to expecting a high level of quality and expect that here. It is not the same the world over. We have reasonable working conditions for the same reason. But our government is way too cozy with the mega corporations and our wages and working conditions are lowering because of it. I was shocked that the brutal Chinese were considering allowing a union in these companies to better the conditions of the people, and it was the American corporations that objected.

August 25, 2008 at 10:09 am
(2) Frank Foster says:

I have to agree with both of you. There is a lot of Chinese junk imported into the USA. It is time to make our government aware of this and more people to stop buying products made in China. I have even noticed some items not stating their country of origin. I am very satisfied with my Husqvarna chainsaw. I have used it for three years now without any problems. We pay high prices for substandard products that fail to perform in no time. Let us get companies to produce more products in the USA. We may have to pay more but it will certainly help our jobless rate.

August 25, 2008 at 11:22 am
(3) Jason Martin says:

Always err on the side of professional choice when selecting a power tool of such importance. Remember, safety, power, and performance are all equal, contributing factors in purchasing a chainsaw.
If money is a factor, perhaps a used, solid saw is a better choice. Better a used quality saw as to a new saw of questionable quality.
Many dealers would be willing to check out your purchase and offer advise on optimum running for your used saw purchase.
On a personal note, I run Jonsered saws exclusively. I have never been sorry about the money invested. You can not go wrong with a Swedish or German saw. Period.
Think about what you want to do with the saw, go online and ask about recommendations for size, weight and suggested bar length.

August 25, 2008 at 2:24 pm
(4) Helene says:

I am responding to the comment that some items do not show a point of origin. Beware. National Public Radio had a piece on a chinese airline that is now purchasing a defunct military airbase in eastern Germany. This is so they can fly in without the large airport time restrictions, and – get this- there will be manufacturing sites all around this base so that the Chinese (etc) parts can be assembled in Germany and therefore use the Made in German label. Locals are not convinced that they will be able to get jobs there (unemployment in that area is at 17%) because the Chinese bring in their own people. So if it says made in Germany (or Poland, or Sweden) take a closer look, it may not be the quality you hoped for.

December 22, 2008 at 4:03 pm
(5) Mal Cotter says:

I wish to add to this, obviously to professional users these Chinese saws are sub standard. But for a casual user at home they may be fine. I was employed in forestry for years and have retired, sold all my Stihl gear years ago. But a few years back the need arose for me to use a chainsaw again, and I bought a Chinese 52cc one with poor quality/cheap price/short lifespan in mind, and paid accordingly. ($220 NZD) But the thing runs beautifully, is powerful, starts second pull, and has blown me away with its capabilities. It has now done around 7 30 year old pinus radiata trees, and never required anything apart from chains and normal items like oil/fuel, and two carburettor adjustments during break in. I was so impressed I bought a smaller 45cc Chinese saw and that too is performing impeccably. They seem to rev slower, but have a lot of torque and plow through the timber. Both came with chisel chain, (Carlton),fine for me but maybe the average hone user would find semi chisel stays sharp longer. So for the home user I feel these are fine, obviously there are some bad eggs, but for the money we pay in NZ for these Chinese saws they are damn good value. Any professional user would not buy Chinese anyway in my mind, I always ran Stihl during my logging years, but wasn’t prepared to pay $NZ 1150 for the equivalent saw to the Chinese one. My only advice for the Chinese saws is to replace the original spark plug with a Champion or similar, and be prepared to adjust carburettor a couple od times during break in. They do require a 25:1 ratio fuel, but the good quality oils such as Castrol etc have barely a puff of smoke at that ratio nowadays. Just my opinion, but I feel for the price we pay (here in NZ anyway) they are good value.

February 27, 2009 at 3:00 am
(6) John says:

I agree I bought a chinese saw last year it is already driving me nuts.Won’t start, starter spring keeps flying to bits etc I had an echo 602VL saw prior to this and had 20 years reliable use, had to retire it as the coil went and I can’t find a replacement.

March 18, 2009 at 9:05 am
(7) keys brook says:

when inquiring about the cost for a new 18in bar for my 15year old stihl i was told A$125 by the local stihl dealer.I thought that was robbery and checked out saws at ebay, ending up auctioning a “baeumr ag” 60cc 20in chinese saw that came with some spare parts for guess how much– A$81 !! The saw lacks the finish of a european saw but runs and performs beautifully.Even if i had to throw it away tomorrow i would have paid only little more than half of what a new stihl bar had cost me. not to speak of the carlton chain that came with it. I am a cattle farmer but have also about 10000 timber trees on the property. in my opinion its the talk that is rubbish, not the chinese products.

July 13, 2009 at 7:52 pm
(8) PauL says:

I bough a Chinese Chainsaw off ebay and have had no problems of any sort.The thing came packed in a box with all documentation etc etc.I have a farm couple of Farm bosses of different sizes and a big old Jonsered saw.All theses saws do a fair bit of work during the year and the Cheapie is fantastic.In fact its cheaper to buy 3 or 4 of the cheapies and just put em away.It starts ok is quiet and powerful for its size (comparable to my smallish farmboss) and came with a good chain and tools.Its been cutting reliably for a year now..what more can I say.Some people just like to whinge.I would not expect a chainsaw to be posted to me completely assembled.It took me about 6 min to assemble with the tools that came with it.

August 2, 2009 at 7:40 pm
(9) floyd says:

I suppose if chinese chainsaws are rubbish then we should include the Sthils and Husqvarnas that are made in China? I own Jonsered, Partner, Solo and more. I also own a couple of the Chinese saws in a 45cc and a 52cc, and hate to admit it but the Chinese 45cc saw totally outperforms my Solo 650? The chain also seems to perform above average compared to the Sthil and Oregon I use.

August 11, 2009 at 3:30 am
(10) Warwick says:

My 62cc Baumr-AG that cost $121.00 cuts well already sawed 4-5 ute loads of hardwood firewood, recently cross cut 4ft log with it and it handled it fine, I used to be a Husqvarna user but at the price Chinese saw hard to beat and if it crapped out tomorrow its already paid for it self

November 25, 2009 at 4:16 pm
(11) takastendaMut says:

Through you representing details. It helped me in my assignment

March 14, 2010 at 5:27 am
(12) smart says:

i have had a 14″ chinese saw for home woodcuttinggoing through 2/3 loads a year, always starts in the button, cost 60 so great price. good power for a 33cc engine. As long as ypu put a stihl blade on its fine

September 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm
(13) Otto Au says:

Interesting, ‘In life you get what you pay for’

I stupidly purchased of ebay, a ‘Baumr AG’ 22″/62cc for AUS$129.

The alarm bell should have gone off in my head straight away when i noticeds it was a pretend German sounding name to give this pile of s*it some creed.

Its Made In China [VERY POORLY] and it should be written on the website, NOT pretending to be German

Anyway, it not only was very poorly made, it was totally unsafe, i cut my losses NEVER used it and resold on ebay for around $95 so lost very little

I purchased a expensive and best Husqvarna and cannot be more pleased to deal with a mower shop, see and feel what i am buying, and full factory back up and dealership to help, but alas typical Husky and 100% bulletproof, runs a treat, HIGHLY recommended.

I repeat ‘In life you get what you pay for’ end quote, stay away from cheap-nastly-Chinese absolute TRASH/JUNK!

November 26, 2010 at 1:54 am
(14) Sue says:

Oh for heavens sakes…. you guys……. I also have purchased a chinese saw and have found it to be pretty good for the price.

I have been using a much more expensive make of saw (Solo) for about 7 years and the cheap chinese version is well worth the price in comparison…..

Get over it.. pack of wingers

December 24, 2010 at 9:13 pm
(15) Aled Owen says:

Most chinese stuff is junk, not only chainsaws. If you want quality and high performance/displacement find something Japanese or German where you are getting dealer support on spares etc.

Both my neighbors have bought Chinese saws and though both have been very lucky so far, one of those saws is a chinese clone of an American designed McCulloch from the 1990s so parts should be easy to come by.

I personally bought a Japanese built Tanaka ECV-4501, which has worked wonders by comparison to my neighbors saws so far. Sure I’m paying nearly 3 times the price but I’m paying for more than 3 times a saw.

I would reccomend not to buy a saw off eBay at all unless you can guarentee it isn’t a clone and comes from a reputable brand such as Shindaiwa, Tanaka, Stihl, Husqvarna or perhaps Makita.

January 21, 2011 at 5:28 pm
(16) Jack says:

Cheap Chinese vs Stihl, Husqvarna basicaly you get what you payfor my preferd choice was Husqvarna but now I prefer Sill however I do have a 57 cc 22 inch chinese import as a spair and i must say for the price 67.00 its very good basicaly its a throw away saw use it till it drops apart from replacing the bar and chain Iv done a lot of work with it and its never let me down I did previously have a cheap chinese saw it lasted well until it went for a swim in a dam near where i was felling not the saws fault just the operator for quality and long livity id recomend still but for general domestic fire wood etc the cheap and chearful chinese saws are fine

the BIG prob with the chinese saws is the quality of steel in the bar and other componants but they just work fine

February 5, 2011 at 8:18 pm
(17) Hugh ness says:

Well, I bought a baumr ag pro pole chainsaw off ebay a couple of weeks ago. Spent two days trying to get it to start. Without success. It doesnt look like it is gonna start. The positives are these: I dont have to cut the branches down and I get lots of exercise trying to start it. I will say this much: it is a pretty orange coloured thing and looks great in the garage. Pity its not much more than an ornament. It is this sort of shit that is rampant on ebay now and gives ebay its bad name. Should never have touched it.

March 30, 2011 at 11:26 pm
(18) ashley grady says:

How about next time you think about buying a chinese made product to save a fews dollars,what if your employer or customer decides imported labour might be cheaper too???china is ruining many countries economys by filling us all up with cheap poorly made products made with raw ingredients from us,coal steel etc…once you get sucked into these product with there cheap prices and real manufactures of quality products cant afford to stay then chinese product own the market and name there own price.8 years ago the $15 4″ grinder,the same one today $45…sure you can buy 4 of these to one good one but do you buy 4 at once no,you go back spending more time and fuel to go to the store 4 times when you could have finished the job with a quality product and sat back with a beer,no wonder none of us have any social time left….

September 4, 2011 at 11:10 am
(19) ken says:

Interesting reading these pages.I have been considering buying a chainsaw but am not sure about the cheap chinese ones.seems some people have had a good run from them and others haven’t but if you compare something for around $129.00 aud to another that costs around $1200.00 aud for a similar product then it is hard to go past.One thing that all salesmen use is”you pay for what you get”That is the biggest load of bullshit in a lot of cases.take a bmw car compared to a toyota for instance.No bmw is worth 3 times the price of a toyota .I have owned quite a few stihl chainsaws and yes they are probably the best but for unprofessional work maybe a cheap saw is better value.as for cheap chinese taking our jobs just let me say– it is because people cannot afford the more expensive ones and in our case here in australia our economy is possibly the best in the world because of China and the fact they buy so much from us.But oneday when chinese wages get better they will also have to compete on a level playing field.

September 13, 2011 at 5:23 am
(20) Gizmo says:

I also bought a Pofessional Chainsaw 5200 for 200 Lei aprox. 64 $ or 46 EUR. It’s just chinese CRAP.I regret the day I bought it because it doesn’t cut at all. It stops before I even start using it and it’s annoying not to mention the fact that it eats gasoline like a fat woman eats burgers. IT’S STUPID. DO NOT BUY IT! IT WILL COST MORE TO FIX IT THAN YOU PAID FOR THE BRAND NEW PRODUCT. BUY STIHL OR HUSQVARNA. THEY ARE AWESOME.

October 1, 2011 at 12:29 pm
(21) Doorstop says:

I just bought a Tanaka chainsaw. I thought It was made in Japan – - WRONG – It’s made in China. It came well packed with manual and wrench. But try to start it – it has no fuel pump – pumps gas by holding some pressure in the tank. Thats OK after it gets running, but when cold the only pressure comes from shaking the machine. No sprocket on the bar, overheats easly – maybe because it’s running lean , but it’s CARB so not adjustable. The plastic chain cover is too soft so bar keeps loosening.
I sent it back!!!!

November 28, 2011 at 2:38 am
(22) Reg says:

I remember the time when Japanese products were cheap and nasty. I own two Baumr-AG chainsaw products made in China and I could not fault them. No problems and what a saving.

February 6, 2012 at 2:49 am
(23) spanner says:

Well bought Baumr-AG. 62cc. The first time i used it the air filter cover kept on vibrating lose, so i went a little tighter, and same thing , came lose again, and i put just a little more on the screw bit, then it stripped out out the casing , and the filter does not work , it clogs up with dust, and then the chain tensioner stripped It is a piece of junk, i had to replace it, now i have a husky . Lesson learned you get what you pay for.

April 4, 2012 at 2:01 am
(24) Edward says:

I brought a chinese chainsaw for US $70 it is a 52cc and it is awsome! I am so impressed with it. It is light, powerfull and so far cut up around 20 tons of firewood and is still going strong. I have used Sthil chains as a replacement, they didn’t stretch as quickly but strangly seemed to go blunt quicker.
I also use normal car engine oil in my fuel.. it smokes a bit but as the saw was so cheap, I thought I may as well save on oil, it doesn’t seem to have caused any problems.
I am buying more and more Chinese stuff these days – as far as value for money, they cant be beaten. There is no doubt in my mind that Chinese stuff is better built than Australian stuff and way cheaper.
This doesn’t please me, but living in Australia and seeing the attitude of workers who demand high wages for doing not much (and I’m sure this would apply to most Western countries) I’m not supprised either.

May 14, 2012 at 8:36 pm
(25) len brauer says:

g’day,

yes i to went against my own mower mechanic advice which says buy from specialist store with service back up and buy the brands.

but what do you do when money is short and you have a job to do and buying brands is just too expensive.

tried 2 “ross” 38cc 16″ bar models 1st one flimsy plastic choke broke after about 20 min’s actual work, the replacement emptied its chain bar lube tank all over the floor after only cutting fresh air for 2 initial starts to check chain tension.

got my money back then saw these baumr saws sounds like another forget it job though they are dearer that the ross by about $50AUD.

got 1.25 acres so it looks like an electric with all the inconvenience

take care

len

May 18, 2012 at 6:11 am
(26) DTW says:

Edward you are fair-dinkum uneducated and childish total wa+nker.

Your comments are offensive to myself and many hard-working Aussies.

I hope your student-visa is cancelled, you can’t get Permanent Residency in Australia and the Australian Government sends you packing back to Asia.

Yes I am an Aussie – northern European descended, not Asian like you are obviously. It is the European and “Western” products that are generally of superior quality – hence higher costs.

The biggest exporter of quality/precision-engineered products is Germany.

Where I can, I buy Australian, American, or European products and avoid the cheap Asian rubbish.

The reasons why cost of production is higher in Australia and other Western civilisations are:

1. superannuation
2. holiday pay
3. sick pay
4. workers’ compensation
5. maternity leave.
6. quality control i.e. ISO 9000
7. civilised working conditions
8. minimum rates of pay
9. compliance with industrial relations laws
10. the 35-40 hour week
11. compliance with Australian safety regulations – safe working conditions for workers
12. morning and afternoon tea-breaks
13. quality materials
14. research and development

etc. etc..

An acquaintance who is a businessman visited a factory in China and was so appalled at the working conditions that he literally wept!

The workers were forbidden to talk while working, had limited toilet breaks, and lived at the factory in workers’ quarters.

Go to Thailand, China, Vietnam, Indonesia, India etc. etc. most of these Asian countries don’t have adequate sanitation, you can’t drink the water, and there are no Social Welfare systems.

Bangkok stinks like effluent and is a sh-it hole typical of Asia.

The Chinese workers will one day rise up to demand higher standards of living and working conditions.

Then cost of production will rise, and you then will be able to buy more expensive Chinese goods that are still inferior to the products of the “Western” civilisations.

June 12, 2012 at 8:00 pm
(27) George says:

Wow, what varied comments! I bought a chinese 45cc saw 3 years ago after wearing out my old husky 38, it seized, parts were no longer available so I went hunting for something I could afford at the time. I am a bit surprised that I still use the saw, I wasn’t expecting much for 90. It still cuts very well, a farmer friend was most impressed with it. I’ve stopped using Oregon chain and now exclusively use Carlton made chain that it came with; chisel for felling and clean wood, and semi chisel for everything else. I get the chain from a large local tree felling outfit, they love it too, it is harder than Oregon or Stihl so needs sharpening less, but it does eat files. Is the saw going to last as long as my old husky? No, but for wood cut per spent, it will probably beat it. spares are also easy to find. It looks like I’ll may be needing a piston soon: 13. The bar seems to be wearing quicker than an oregon would have, maybe it’s partly the harder chain
If you have no mechanical skills, chinese may not be for you, if you do, and you treat it carefully, they seem to last well for the price. I also have a Chinese scooter with 11,000 miles on it, it needs servicing often, but it has been, so it’s lasting pretty well. I’ve seen many European chainsaws knackered by owners who don’t know how to look after them and don’t want to pay someone who does. They will start great out of the box, but they still need the odd tweak.
Finally, don’t run crap oil in chinese stuff, the metals, tolerances etc etc tend to be inferior to Swedish/German stuff. Good oil is essential for their well being, I run Putoline motorcycle oil. For chain oil, I now use vegetable oil, I think my chains seem to prefer, it’s also way cheaper than proper chain oil, which was the most expensive running cost, it can get gummy if the saw isn’t used for a while so this isn’t for infrequent use.

August 9, 2012 at 1:38 am
(28) Jus says:

I have bought two Baumr AG saws. The first was the 52cc model and it ran okay for around 10 hours but I felt it was underpowered. So I bought the 72cc model with the 24″ bar and found it to be okay as well but still felt underdone.

Anyway, I’ve just inherited a 026 Stihl and just cannot believe the difference in power and sheer guts. The Stihl kills the Baumr AG by a very long way and its an old saw that’s done loads of work.

On the weekend I pulled out the large Baumr AG because the chain on the 026 was blunt and I had a big lump to cut up – the saw lasted for 20 minutes and suddenly stopped – turns out (after half and hour of mucking around after checking fuel etc. that the electric kill switch had failed) this saw has only done 4 or 5 hours since new.

Both the 52cc and 72cc Baumr saws are rubbishy and cheaply made garbage – don’t waste your time or money on this junk – by a Stihl or similar quality saw – even buying a used one you’ll be better off…

September 13, 2012 at 10:34 pm
(29) Mark says:

I needed a chainsaw to cut down 5 moderate sized softwood trees. To hire one for the day was $150.00 minimum. I took the risk and purchased one off the net for $85.00 delivered to my door. The chainsaw started easily, did the job, just, did some other pruning. Lent it to an “inlaw” who broke it. Didnt say, didnt offer to repair or replace. The saw was limited in quality, perfomance was excellent, I got what I paid for and was happy. I wouldnt recomend one if you are looking to cut wood for a years burning etc. I Wasnt happy with the now “outlaw” other wise my chainsaw would/may still be going maybe. I am buyng a Sthil from a dealer to get the tech support an backup.

December 4, 2012 at 4:08 pm
(30) Lee says:

Modern name brand saws have a common failure point “Ignition Module” because they use plastic crank cases. Chinese saws have eliminated this problem by reintroducing the aluminum cast crank cases. These saws run fine if you know what your doing! The complainers probably need to stick with hiring it done! I’ve heard complaints from “chain won’t stay on” to “it ran fine now it won’t start”

Maybe tightening the chain and adding fuel would help!

January 27, 2013 at 1:20 am
(31) John says:

Just started my mates new bum rag chain saw because he couldnt get it to start. I managed to start it and it ran okay. Turned it on its side and fuel ran out of it. What the? Looks like a one use toy to me.

April 14, 2013 at 9:25 am
(32) Pete says:

I have owned a 52cc Chinese saw for about 4 years. I heat my house with a wood burner and live in Michigan. This saw has never let me down. Yes you have to perform regular maint. but that goes with any saw. For those that are haters well look around everything you touch has a part or completely built in China. Even some of those higher priced saws have parts form China and in some cases (some of Husky’s that I know of) are built in China and branded with the Husqvarna logo. Yes you get what you pay for and you compromise on tech support but the cost vs usage was well worth it in my pocket.

April 22, 2013 at 8:53 pm
(33) Frank Marks says:

I have owned and operated a small engine shop for a peroid of 30 years. I have purchased and sold all the the major lines including stihi and also Husqvarna ( 20 years) in my shop and have repaired them all. My advise to you is that you should not put down the new products comming from emerging nations. Yes the first runs have problems but I for one can assure you the even the great name brands like husqvarna have been producing substandard saws for the past 29 years. You can’t always judge a saw by its name .

May 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm
(34) desktop 3d printer kit says:

Hello! ӏ’m at work surfing around your blog from my new apple iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the great work!

May 22, 2013 at 6:10 pm
(35) Woodpecker says:

I have read that Stihl have shifted their production to China and Stihl chainsaws are now made in China but their prices remain the same.
I have owned Japan made Echos for years, the latest being a 6702, 67cc that has cut many tons of Australian hardwood that has been dead for 25 to 30 years and is hard. I paid $990 for it as a runout model four years ago but it has paid for itself many times over and still goes like new.

June 13, 2013 at 5:14 am
(36) Marty says:

Even Victa Lawmowers(once made in Australia with USA made motors) are now made in China & lucky to last 2 years! Old Aussie made 2-strokes over 40 years old still running well ,as well as USA made McCulloch chainsaws, brought into Down Under 40 years ago. still going good!
So called experts rubbish Aldi Supermarkets for selling reasonable priced gardening tools(some made in China too). But my experience and my buddy Alex’s experience with Aldi tools is overall a positive one!
Stores like Kmart sell so-called US & UK & Japanese branded tools in the Australian market(like Stanley,Crescent,Makita etc), that are in fact cheap rubbish made in China and the so-called experts never attack the likes of Kmart or Bunnings selling Chinese Made Brand-Name rubbish, but attack Aldi for selling the exactly the same Chinese tools for 1/2 the price! Watch out readers , all of today’s tools come from the same Chinese Factory, Brand Name means nothing anymore in the Gardening products range!

June 24, 2013 at 4:04 pm
(37) Pete says:

I vary my buys between name brand equipment and Chinese repros, a little research on the equipment will give you all you need to know. I generally ignore comments like one guy above who wrote off the saw and returned it without even using it once. How would he have any idea how it performs if he isn’t even capable of assembling it!

The main thing to be aware of is this: many many companies have parts made in China, these days there is very little if any difference in most parts, the difference is in the finish. When I buy Chinese equipment I’ll break it down and check for tolerances, finish on the parts that matter, shim and adjust where required. What you pay for on brand equipment is the finish detail to parts and tolerances.

Regular servicing will give a good run out of most of these products, many if the complaints sound either outright racist or from people who buy a tool expecting it to run out of the box, and only ever add fuel and expect it to continue indefinitely without even tweaks to the carby.

July 2, 2013 at 7:21 am
(38) mick says:

paid $138 for 60cc baumer ag 4 years ago had a problem with the throttle and the kill switch,both of which I fixed myself,the saw has worked very hard it has worn out 9 chains, if you are handy then no worries.

August 2, 2013 at 8:24 pm
(39) lenny says:

got a ross works well ftw

August 2, 2013 at 8:28 pm
(40) lenny says:

most big names are made in china and assembled in usa ect

September 2, 2013 at 8:55 pm
(41) rwilliamr says:

Thanks for exposing this scam, the biggest issue is my opinion the lack of parts and service. As a former servicing dealer of saws, we know the consumer will be back for parts & service no exeptions! These saws lead
rough lives and any pro-user or regular user knows this! After sale service
is critical as with cars, appliances, etc. Also the shipping cost needs to be
included.

November 18, 2013 at 3:43 pm
(42) peter says:

As far as I know Stihl saws are still made in germany , except the smaller ones that are produced in Mexico (and there is a difference in quality). The biggest advantage of buying a brand saw (husky, stihl, makita,solo, echo,…) is that after years of service you can still find parts.

December 10, 2013 at 7:22 am
(43) Dan says:

I dropped a 090 stihl off a tractor and it went under a slasher ,bang $2000 gone why not try a different saw for the hobby farmer not a saw that will only get pulled out of the shed twice a year .

December 17, 2013 at 3:51 am
(44) Andrew says:

Hi all.
I bought Baumr AG CX72 chainsaw 3 uears ago on Ebay for $139.
When it arrived it was easy to start. I tought it is a good saw.
I had no chance to work with it till our next camping trip. It happened one and a half year since I bought this chain saw.
It was working well for 5min then it stopped. So I restarted. Then when I tried to accelerate it had a noise like it is chocking and it was stoping again. Every time it is cold, for few days laying in a shed, it is working for 5min, and then it is stopping constantly. I can restart it, but as soon as I press on accelerator it is stoping. I can restart it again and again, but when I try to accelerate it is stopping.
It does it every time when it is hot.
I tried to adjust speed screws L and H higher and lower, setup again according to Manual and adjust again lower and higher. Nothing helps.I tried to adjust ignition coils, closer to magnet and away from magnet. Nothing helps.
There is a good spark no mather it is hot or cold. What is wrong with it I have no idea.
In 1991 I bought Victa mower, and it is still working.
In 1993 I bought McCulloh line trimmer. After 3 years I had to change ignition coil, but it is still working with original 1993 spark plug.
Victa mower need to change spark plug every 2years, othervise will not start, so I’m using McCulloh line trimmer spark plug, restart Victa mower, run for 1min, stop, changed old dirty plug back, finish mowing, and then few days later I will buy new spark plug. But it works with not much effort.
Ba to look for answers.Baumr AG CX72 it is a bigest shit I bought in my live. Today I spend 4hrs on it and tomorow it will go to recycle bin.
I have read all comments on this forum and I think, if I will never had a problem with this piece of shit I will never look for forum like this.
I mean, if there will be no problem I will never search for answers on the internet.

December 17, 2013 at 3:54 am
(45) Andrew says:

me a a

December 26, 2013 at 9:26 pm
(46) Chris says:

Stihl has a factory in China and has had one since 2008. Their corporate offices are located in Germany and they have warehouses in the U.S. I am sure some of the Manufacturing is done in Germany and the US but that is probably only consists of putting stickers on the saw and packaging them. I saw the post about “knock off” CStihl saws that are made in China. I did a little research and it is true there may be some knock offs but Husqvarna and Stihl are both made in china.

December 26, 2013 at 10:28 pm
(47) Chris says:

Stihl has been manufactured in China since 2008. For the Aussie’s that have posted on here… Keep in mind Made in American doesn’t always mean MADE IN USA. Made in America could mean Canada, Mexico, or South America. Quality in South America or Mexico is the equivalent of China.

February 7, 2014 at 6:33 pm
(48) W Jones says:

Have a chinese pole saw, chinese brush cutter, 2 chain saws, and other tools all baumr ag .
Never had any problems with any of them. Only problems I have heard about are from people who have no idea about anything. In short if you have no idea do not buy a any machinery buy your wood hire a mowing contractor and get taxi when you want to go somewhere.

February 19, 2014 at 12:58 am
(49) Jared says:

Got myself a Ryobi chainsaw…seems great at first, but have had to have it replaced 5 times in just a few months. Home Depot handles warranty beautifully, but I bought a STIHL after the last replacement…I can’t afford the time to go get a new one every time and never get a job completed on schedule.

February 23, 2014 at 3:39 pm
(50) A. Karhu says:

I now own my third husqvarna chainsaw.The first two served me well, each for about 10seasons of firewood cutting, they were in the 60cc range, sort of semi professional models. The latest one I bought in Dec. 2013, a 55cc unit, sort of a semi hobby saw. This one turned out to be a cheapy. Somewhere along the line the fuel tank got bumped just behind, below the fillhole and the fuel tank now has a nasty set of cracks in it. The plastic that cracked is less than 1mm thick, so there is nothing sturdy about it. The service dealer has quoted me about $300. It looks like my last husqv. model.

March 27, 2014 at 10:38 pm
(51) Camping Food says:

Link exchange is nothing else but it is just placing
the other person’s weblog link on your page at proper place and other person will also do same in favor of
you.

March 30, 2014 at 3:30 am
(52) brett keymer says:

chinese chainsaws. i have bought 15 different types of chinese chainsaws over the last 12 mths and i must say that they have nearly all been great saws the only one i have had any problems with is the 75cc md chainsaw and im sure it was just a lemon and the seller fell over backwards to help now that its fixed it going well so i think that they are pretty good any saw that you pay under 200 for and lasts a winter has more than payed fo itself just buy a new one i have put them through pure hell and each one is still going good value i reakon.

April 2, 2014 at 4:04 pm
(53) David says:

Not all ebay used chainsaws are rubbish, check out the seller,his score rating, is he a dealer in used saws, if not private be careful, only buy a brand ,eg Stihl Husqvarna, and lastly all purchases are protected through ebay and paypal, as if its not as described, you will get your money back, and lastly ask many questions, and make sure there are many photos to view, be wary of only one pic from far away!!!

May 5, 2014 at 11:18 am
(54) Frank says:

I work for an emerging company hoping to wrestle back to Australia the production (in part) of outdoor power equipment. Its hard to do when costs in PRC are a fraction of those in Aust. However it is worth a look to check out our product to assist the fightback. The truth be known most chainsaws including the big two are made in China just do your research.