1. Education
Steve Nix

Leaf Spot Tree Disease - Prevention and Control

By June 26, 2012

A lot of trees are dropping leaves and have brown spots according to my email. These spots are probably symptomatic of leaf spot disease. Leaf infections called "leafspots" are caused by a variety of fungi and some bacteria on many trees and are a result of wet weather. An especially harmful version of this disease is called anthracnose which attacks many tree species including dogwood and sycamore.

Elm Anthracnose, Oklahoma State University

Comments

July 6, 2009 at 4:07 pm
(1) Kathy Dye says:

I just read your comments on Leaf Spot Tree disease, you wrote of the possible cause but not of what can be done once the tree is infected. Can you give me info an what to use to kill the fungus or bacteria? Or some other way to treat this disease.
Thanks.

July 31, 2009 at 5:17 pm
(2) Toni says:

I need information on how to treat leaf spot tree disease on Aspens. Thanks

August 19, 2009 at 6:27 pm
(3) Deanna says:

My tree appeaers to have a leaf disease – I don’t know the name of the tree but it is probably from the maple family and it very thick and almost grows like an umbrella – it requires little to no triming.
The leaves are also falling off early when they are green – this is not normal.
Help
Deanna

August 20, 2009 at 4:19 pm
(4) Bob Shaw says:

I was given a Burr Oak by a friend that won it in a silent bid benefit. The leaves are definitely spotted. At first they grew quite well then the spotting started and now is destroying all the new leaves of the tree.
What can be done to treat the tree. This is not a large tree and has been transplanted about 3 months ago. Please help.

June 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm
(5) Annette says:

My lawn care company did an analysis on my shrubs and they say I have Leaf Spot on my photinia and they can treat in 6 treatments @$50.00 each-the analysis was done this month-everything that I have read says if treatment is to be effective, it should be in the early spring. Is this just a way of getting more money out of me?

August 1, 2010 at 12:30 pm
(6) Linda says:

It was a GREAT feeling to find your website. I need help with my floweriing crabapple tree. Leaves are spotted and turning brown and yellow. What do you recommend? I planted the tree in my mother’s memory this May.

October 14, 2011 at 4:22 pm
(7) Tina K says:

My maple tree is suffering from spots on the leaves that are as black as ink, not brown , is this the same disease???
My whole neighborhood has this spreading through our trees, but I also noticed my peonies and rose bushes are also covered in BLACK spots , thank-you for your time and consideration and any information .